International Women's Day is here and we thought it's worth sharing one fun fact about Kind Reads: every one of our active volunteers today are women. This is not by design, but it is a beautiful and clear example of how women contribute to their communities & society and how they help uplift us.
Here are five real life stories about women that will leave you inspired, impressed, and surprised even:
- She Said by Jodi Kantor & Megan Twohey ($8.99): From the pulitzer-prize winning reporters who broke the news of harvey weinstein's sexual harassment and abuse comes the thrilling untold story of their investigation and its consequences for the #metoo movement.
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg ($7.99): When you're the only women at the table, you have to lean in. Facebook's COO and fortune top-ranked businesswoman shares provocative, anecdotal advice for women that urges them to take risks and seek new challenges in order to find work that they can love and engage in passionately.
- Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy by Ben Macintyre ($9.99): this true-life spy story is a masterpiece about the woman code-named Sonya, one of the most important female spies in history. Her story reflects the great ideological clash of the twentieth century, between communism, fascism, and western democracy, and casts new light on the spy battles and shifting allegiances of our own times.
- Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali ($5.99): In this memoir she tells her astonishing life story, from her traditional muslim childhood in somalia, saudi arabia, and kenya, to her intellectual awakening and activism in the netherlands, and her current life under armed guard in the west. She burst into international headlines following an islamist's murder of her colleague, theo van gogh, with whom she made the movie submission.
- Womanish: A Grown Black Woman Speaks on Love and Life by Kim McLarin ($6.99): Searing in its emotional honesty, womanish is an essay collection by award-winning author kim mclarin that explores what it means to be a black woman in today's turbulent times.
Kind women, may we continue to know them, raise them and uplift them. We encourage you to visit our new permanent collection: Empowered Women - featuring titles that vary from talented female-identifying authors, inspiring memoirs and biographies, novels with strong female leads, and insightful political & historical non-fiction. Happy International Women's day!